Saturday, September 5, 2009

Apologies, and the War on Spiders

SORRY!!

I had so much going on that I couldn't update lately, just sleep :[ But now things are different.

I moved in with my host family, the 吉田 (Yoshida) family. They are really cool, kind, fun, and strict!

But anyways, I have to apologize that there are no pictures or video this time. I'm still setting things up, and failing. :[


However, I wanted to write, that this morning it really hit me--I'm on an island in the Pacific ocean, 7000 miles from home, where I can understand about 40% of what I hear, and about 10% of what I read. ちょっとこわいなあ (It's kind of scary huh?)

But I didn't have much time to think about it since I was quickly and quite rudely roused awake by the king of large, hairy, juicy jumping spiders.

No matter how I tried to kill him, this thing was a ninja-spider and just didn't want to die, or get caught. This thing was jumping from the wall to the ceiling, punching me in the face, kicking me in the butt, and whenever it felt that I had struggled enough to gain the upper hand, it would use it's ninja skills to hide!

BUT!! Victory was mine as I had finally managed to kill the sucker! However it was only a short victory as I had noticed 3 more later :[

I asked my host father about this and he assured me that this is normal, and OK. Spiders don't bother you, just scare you.

So my host family currently enjoys hearing me scream like a girl about 7 times a minute.


Anyways, I'm working on getting wireless internet, until then I just have a wired connection in their kitchen.

I have Japanese placement tests on Monday, so I will be hoarding myself up in...Japan...to study...Japanese.

I am working to fix my video issues and take more pictures. I'm sort of testing the waters now with my host family to see what is acceptable and what isn't. So it takes a while. Sorry.


Thanks for reading!!


4 comments:

  1. you asked me whether its the same in china. well, it depends. some people live in traditiona-style houses in the inner city, they have this problem and they dont care either... But, most of the people live in tall buildings in beijing, so we are very safe :P

    also, i heard in japan they dont care when the houses shake, only "gaijins" scream like the earthquake is coming, haha

    Good luck, you little poor thing. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black spiders from your attic are sending their warm regards via their Japanese cousins. And you thought you escaped them, hahaha . . . Perhaps you should put out a large toy spider to scare the real ones away(?)
    Just don't feed them: my sister found a tiny cute spider in her window one day (we were late teens) and she felt such pity that she started to feed the poor bugger. At the end the spider became so big, and scary that she didn't want to sleep in her room anymore. Well, we had to move the spider (it was easier than move my sister) . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, your culture shock will stretch your comfort zone. Just immerse yourself in the Japanese lifestyle to learn as much as possible. I'm sure that in one month you'll be very sufficient in talking the language and it will make you feel great.

    ReplyDelete