Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A little bit of complaining and terrible news.

So the terrible news should come first:

This morning, the train was delayed for 30 minutes because somebody jumped in front of it.

You read about this happening in Japan all the time but when you actually experience or are affected by it actually happening, well it's very unpleasant.

On the way home, as the rapid express train was approaching, I stood near the railing and watched the headlights come closer and closer.  It seemed like it was taking forever for those small gold lights to arrive.  Then, before I knew it, the train was roaring past beside me at blinding speeds--blowing my hair and shirt all over the place.  I just couldn't help feel so sad at that moment.  I felt as if I just experienced the person's last view and last moment on earth.  I could have easily jumped right in front of that train too, traveling at some odd 200 or more kilometers per hour.  It would be over so fast!

But I'm not suicidal.  It was such a sad moment.

NOW for the complaining!

2 things:

1)  What's wrong with Japanese people?!  Nobody was even phased by the suicide!  In fact, a lot of people were angry that the train was delayed.

I told my host family about the suicide and the first thing that my host mother said was, 迷惑 (めいわく) meiwaku

迷惑 is very hard to translate into English.  It's a rude thing that affects everybody.  When a company produces a product that needs a recall, that's 迷惑.  Every year, the emperor of Japan apologizes for WWII, because what Japan did was create a 迷惑 to it's own people.  (God this is hard to explain.)

迷惑 is when you do something bad that affects others in your same group.  Since Japanese are very group minded and nationalistic, WWII, getting involved and eventually leading to Hiroshima, is a 迷惑 committed by the old government because it negatively affected the Japanese people (a lot of them died, etc).

So basically, my host family didn't even feel a bit bad for that person.  They said he committed a 迷惑 on all the people riding the train that morning, and more importantly, to his own family.

I can agree, but daaaaang don't you even feel a bit bad?


2) I'm sick.  I don't know what I ate on that temple excursion, but it is ruining me.  Everyday I have a headache all day and night, my whole body aches, my neck is stiff, my shoulders are stiff, my lower back feels like I'm pinching a nerve every time I bend.  And I am throwing up.  I ask for aspirin or some kind of pain killer and my school and family do nothing but tell me to stretch and take some joint-health pills.

Can I get a pain killer, a fever reducer?  Nope.  Just take some joint-health pills for old people and stretch your shoulders and you will be fine.

I had a fever last night!

Just take joint pills and stretch.  OK Fine I get it, I need to ask my fellows for some freaking advil or something.



OK done ranting.  It's OK to rant sometimes about Japan, contrary to popular belief, this place isn't perfect you know.  And their are no more samurai, and pokemon never existed in real life.  Sorry to kill your dreams.

But I still like it here, just wondering why I can't get an aspirin or something?

(super short temple trip video coming soon)

4 comments:

  1. Bence, Please let us know how you are feeling, and GET BETTER PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first thing, this is what I told you that Japanese people are so cold inside. Being polite doesnt equal to being kind. Your teacher is right that there are something that they should learn..

    Also, the suiside rate in Japan is high. The working and living pressure is high. They are very compressed. If you work for a Japanese company, if 99 people agree with A, even if you know its definitely wrong, you'd better shut up. Otherwise some people might find your troubles secretly. Thats the bad side of their group-minded. I dont think you would do that based on your short temper.

    Fot the second thing, some old Asian people dont eat a lot medicine when they are sick. They think thats too much side effect.. My grand parents do that too. But go to the hotspring again sometime. You would get better in certain time. Feel worried about your throwing up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, yeah, I know my post is a little late, but still...

    I sympathizes with you about the medicine!!! You can find medicine for colds, medicine for the flu, medicine for this, that or the other thing, but it is just downright impossible to find a plain, ordinary pain killer.
    Next time, try Chinese medicine - I'm still not convinced it works, but at least you can say you took something that is "supposedly" a pain killer.笑

    And I understand what the Japanese mean that it's a bother that other people go off and do things like committing suicide, but it never seems to cross their minds that there could be a larger problem with society (and themselves) that is the cause. Sometimes, they fail to truly appreciate that they are each part of the group and responsible for the whole, not just the one person. It's everyone else's fault for letting the guy commit suicide in the first place. >:o

    Sorry, I have no sympathy for them in that area, because they show none.
    But, still, there are some great things about Japan as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, that's nuts.
    I had a mild culture shock reading that.


    - Oh, it's Tabby btw. PS, I work with Paula now. I guess you gave me your job lol.

    ReplyDelete